War Poetry
Year 8's this half-term have been exploring World War One, they have looked at causes, impacts and what life was like in the trenches. The pupils have shown great interest in certain elements and have even compared it to modern times, creating discussions and engaging with the news, where relevant. They have also explored a variety of war poems looking at poetry features and themes, and some have then written their own, either as a group of individually.
Below are three of the poems created this half term.
3JG - As a class 3JG created a poem about the life of a soldier in war, they have named it 'The Messy Truth'
– The Messy
Truth
Money and power is the reason war
exists
Family arguments, murderers get away.
Started a war, because people are
bored.
Countries gain power, whilst others
fall.
I shot loads of people,
And they died.
I got shot a load of times,
But I survived.
I blew someone up with my tank,
I shot people out of a plane,
Naval artillery burnt everything it
saw,
Called in with a radio, then they
just move on.
I shot loads of people,
And they died.
I got shot a load of times,
But I survived.
Trenches were in great condition,
Rats, no hygiene, dirt and gas.
Suicidal, damn everyone else.
People thinking the worst about their
allies.
I shot loads of people,
And they died.
I got shot a load of times,
But I survived.
I got shot in the hand, temporarily
disfigured
Medically discharged, but still a
hero.
I shot loads of people.
I’m lucky to have survived,
It’s a shame everyone else died.
Josh - He wrote his poem about the destruction war has on civilians and the land. He has called his 'A Time'.
A time where people in different countries flee.
Children evacuated from their homes,
ripped from their lives,
Hungry, beaten and depressed nowhere to run too.
A time where people in different countries fight
Death and destruction are everywhere,
Guns firing from every angle,
Scary times, they could find you anywhere.
A time where people fight in different countries, fight for land,
Pointless. Fighting for rubble and dust,
crumbled buildings no one wants,
what is the point?
A time where people in different countries fight for land or power.
Billy - He wrote his with the perspective of being a German soldier having to fight for Hitler. He named it 'Germans Vs Brits'.
World war will make us hungry for food
And we hail Hitler for our lives
For the young we will leave but the old we will take
Our bombs will take lives and our guns too
It is scary but make sure you're not hairy
We will fight until we win and they lose.